Sport For Development BSc (Hons)
Active Communities Network have been a long standing strategic partner of the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation. Collectively, we joined forces in 2008 to implement new approaches and develop an evidence base and library of research in using sport to develop communities, with an emphasis on supporting children and young people.
As well as implementing projects globally, which support some of the most disadvantaged communities, we seek to build the skills and capacity of sports coaches, youth, and community workers. These people, the key practioners on the ground are the most imperative people in being ‘change agents’ in communities. Sport is a pathway or a method of engaging, encapsulating and energising communities. Without a skilled workforce who have strong understandings of social development, communities and how they operate, we will fail in sustaining an emerging space in the sports industry – Sport for Development.
We have teamed up with the University of Gloucestershire to deliver this vision for growing and uplifting the workforce. They have brought together a unique blend of faculties and staff to ensure this course enables learners to specialise in an area of interest or need, whilst gaining a comprehensive experience of the sector. Guest lecturers and teaching fellows from the sector will also be supporting learners and providing an insight as to the day to day operations of charity and NGO operations, funders, stakeholders and organisational management.
On completion of the course learners will:
- Have a comprehensive understanding of the sport for development sector
- Gained a greater insight into how sport is used in a social context
- Explored theories and applied them into practice through work placements/employment
- Undertaken an evaluation focused dissertation based on a sport for development programme
- Learned leadership, business, communications and operational management skills designed to support progress within charities and NGO’s.
- Project and Programme Management
- Fundraiser and Operations Management in charity sector / professional sports sector
- Specialist practitioner in sports coaching, youth work, and community development
- Senior Management positions in sports, youth, and community development organisations
- Strong reference from employer / organisation with credible background in sport for development, youth work or community development
- Evidence a drive and ambitions to be an innovator and leader in the sport for development field
- Experience of working in challenging communities / with at risk groups of young people
- Evidence of transferable skills
- Higher level vocational qualifications (Level three) or strong A level grades
- Mature students who have extensive experience in the sector, and who have a vocational qualification at level three, are encouraged to apply