Active Communities Network South Africa was established in 2011 as a locally registered partner organisation to Active Communities Network UK. The aim of the NPO is to capacity build local organisations, staff and young people with the vision to strengthen resilience, empower youth and develop stable and cohesive communities across South Africa.
On a practical level, this takes the form of accredited and non-accredited educational programmes for people from disadvantaged communities. It also involves the identification of employment pathways for those who have benefited from the training and empowers local people with the knowledge and leadership skills to advocate sport for social change in their community.
ACN SA has an ongoing partnership with eta College. eta College is a private, accredited sport and fitness college based in Cape Town, South Africa. eta College is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training as a private higher education college. eta College supports ACN SA with accredited skills programmes and have been enabling people to launch their careers in fitness, sport coaching and the business of sport since 1984.
PROJECTS AND ORGANISATIONS THAT HAVE BEEN SUPPORTED TO DATE:
- ABSA Breaking Barriers Programme, Gansbaai, Western Cape
- Hout Bay Coaching and Administration Skills Programme, Hout Bay, Western Cape
- Momentum Funded Golf Skills Programme , Hauteng and Western Cape
- Momentum Funded Cricket Skills Programme, Hauteng
- SARU Coaching and Administration Skills Programme , Riebeek West, Western Cape
- Laureus YES Programme, Country wide
- Junction Rovers, Heideveld, Cape Town
- Buffalo City Soccer, East London, Eastern Cape
- GCU, Heideveld, Cape Town