In 2011 we made the big decision to expand our work internationally. Active Communities Network South Africa was born and became a locally registered partner organisation to Active Communities Network UK.
The aim of this non-profit organisation is to give local groups, staff and young people the tools to strengthen resilience, empower youth and develop stable and cohesive communities across South Africa.
On a practical level, this takes the form of accredited and non-accredited educational programmes for people from disadvantaged communities. Once participants have benefited from our training, we are on hand to identify possible career pathways.
Word of mouth is really important to building trust and we have seen how those who become involved with ACN can become powerful advocates of sport for social change in their community.
ACN SA has an ongoing partnership with eta College, a private, accredited sport and fitness college based in Cape Town. It is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training as a private higher education college.
The college supports ACN SA with accredited skills programmes and has been enabling people to launch their careers in fitness, sport coaching and the business of sport since 1984.
PROJECTS AND ORGANISATIONS THAT HAVE BEEN SUPPORTED TO DATE:
- ABSA Breaking Barriers Programme, Gansbaai, Western Cape
- Hout Bay Coaching and Administration Skills Programme, Hout Bay, Western Cape
- Momentum Funded Golf Skills Programme , Hauteng and Western Cape
- Momentum Funded Cricket Skills Programme, Hauteng
- SARU Coaching and Administration Skills Programme , Riebeek West, Western Cape
- Laureus YES Programme, Country wide
- Junction Rovers, Heideveld, Cape Town
- Buffalo City Soccer, East London, Eastern Cape
- GCU, Heideveld, Cape Town